In order to travel to the Islamic Republic of Iran, foreign nationals are required to obtain a visa. This is a permission of entry to Iran for a limited period of time, which is issued by the embassy of the IRI, subsequent to receipt of approval from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In the following you will find comprehensive information about Iranian visas, legal procedures and needed documents.
Summary of General regulations
- Visas are specially issued for foreign citizens & Iranians who have legally given up their Iranian Nationality (expatriates), and who possess the officially approved papers from the (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) MFA.
- Children and minors who are not in possession of an Iranian birth certificate (Shenasname), and whose fathers have nationalities other than Iranian are considered to be foreign nationals, and are hence required to apply for a visa in order to enter the territory of the I.R.I. (However, in case the mother of these children is of Iranian nationality, and is officially married to the father, this will facilitate the process of issuing their visa to a certain extent.)
- A filled out printed version of Form 115 (void of scribbles and scrawls).
- A copy of and the Original passport of the applicant. (The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of application, & contain a minimum of two blank pages void of any stamps.)
- A 3x4cm passport photo taken within the past six months, with a plain white background, which should be pasted onto the abovementioned application form.
- A Dutch PIN pass (bank card), to be available for wiring fees that will apply to your application process, at the consular section of the Embassy.
In order to facilitate the obtaining of your visa you may:
- Have a relative, or friend refer to the MFA of IRI and arrange a letter of invitation, obtain the reference number for an approved visa and then refer to the Embassy.
- Refer to one of the Travel/Tourist Agencies and request a visa application.
- Directly refer to the website of the MFA, obtain a reference code, and subsequently receive your visa at the Iranian International airport. (N.B. This type of visa will be only valid for a maximum of 2 weeks.)