Chemical disarmament section of the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran in The Hague is one of the most important sections of the Embassy. In General, this section includes two thematic areas: International Affairs and representation of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) based in The Hague, the Netherlands. This section is responsible for follow up on international issues as well as participating in meetings and seminars related to international issues. Follow up and clarification about the peaceful nuclear activities of the Islamic Republic of Iran in the Netherlands has been one of the topics of more consideration of this section in recent years. Another area that is being sought in this section, are matters relating to the United Nations and its specialized agencies.
The permanent representation to the Organization of the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), which oversees the implementation of the chemical weapons convention, is another task of this section. The Islamic Republic of Iran as a victim of chemical weapons has played an important role in formation of the Convention and also is an active member of the OPCW. Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Netherlands is also acting as the Permanent Representative of the country to the OPCW.
The main areas of activities of the delegation of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the OPCW include as following:
- Defending the rights of victims of chemical weapons, especially chemical warfare veterans and injured in the country;
- Declaring the Iranian Government’s views and positions on the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons Convention and the activities of the Organization;
- Receiving and sending all documents and correspondence from the Technical Secretariat of the Organization and its members to the Islamic Republic of Iran as well as to submit all documents and correspondence of the Country to the Secretariat and states parties of the Organization;
- Representation and participation in all meetings and discussions of the Organization, particularly Executive Council sessions and Annual Conference of States Parties;
- Coordinating issues relating to the participation of Iranian delegations in the official meetings of the Organization;
- Follow up the matters related to requests and acceptance of Iranian candidates in the programs and training courses hold by Technical Secretariat;
- Follow-up holding events and training courses of the Organization in Iran.
You can reach to the official site of the Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons: WWW.OPCW.ORG for more information.